Part D–Me, the Fan

PART D: You, the FAN

WRITER SEMINARS: How has studying published authors changed/improved your writing? 

***

As I have mentioned previously in my reflection, the more you read, the better you write; reading provides me with opportunities to emulate and try on the styles of other writers. This being recognized, writer’s seminars are what feed my reading list–they inspire me to explore the works of different novelists and poets whose styles I may then imitate; therefore, these seminars have enabled me to expand my repertoire as both a writer and a reader. 

Are you glad you did your writer?

***

I am very glad we chose the writer that we did for our seminar; since this is my last year in Creative Writing, I wanted to give a seminar that was meaningful to me–I wanted to end grade twelve off with a bang. That is why I suggested Twenty One Pilots, which has been my absolute favourite band for the past three years. As I had said in my seminar, Twenty One Pilots–more specifically, the lyricist and lead singer of the duo, Tyler Joseph– are significant to me for the following reasons:

I am in love with both music and poetry–they are my two greatest passions. And when you have music and poetry together? Now, that’s where the true magic lies. The only problem is that, these days, the music that plays on the radio–the “popular” music– comes across as sounding very juvenile to me, especially in terms of rhyme. The ideas might be meaningful and the music might be great, but if the writing isn’t there, then both the insight of the ideas and that greatness of the music can be negated-–they can kind of get lost in translation. And when something doesn’t sound intelligent, I don’t want to listen to it.

This being recognized, the thing about Twenty One Pilots is that they really have it all–they’ve got the magic. They provide their listeners with stylized musical composition and their lyrics are both clever and thought-provoking. And Tyler Joseph doesn’t rhyme just for the hell of rhyming. It’s meaningful rhyme. And rhyme, in general, is something that is very hard to do well. But Tyler Joseph is one of the few that does do it well. This is what enhances and intensifies the messages he wants to portray. And then there is just the fact that his writing is relatable. And anyone who knows me knows that relatability is one of the most important things to me. Because what’s the point of writing if you can’t inspire? If you can’t make the lonely feel less alone?

And Twenty One Pilots–well, their music has made me feel less alone.

Who different would you consider?  Why?

***

• Rupi Kaur; her flash poetry has inspired and fostered my own love for flash poetry.
  • Amanda Lovelace; she is an empowering force in the poetry community, specifically for women and girls who have struggled with the insecurities that are often accompanied by mental illness. 
  • Atticus Poetry; despite the overt popularity of his poetry on Instagram, Atticus remains anonymous–no one really knows what he looks like. Thus, the research associated with doing a seminar on Atticus could potentially uncover biographical information about him. It would be like solving some grand murder mystery.

What genres have interested you the most?

***

Again, I am very stubborn when it comes to poetry; for me, it is the ultimate genre. That is why I was often more engaged with the poet’s seminars than I was with the novelist’s seminars. That isn’t to say that I didn’t enjoy the novelist’s seminars, but poetry will always be my niche–the genre I am most comfortable with, and the thing I do best.

What did you learn from the writers?  Inspirations?

***

These seminars, above anything else, have taught me to be a humble reader.

Allow me to explain what I mean by this. Within the last few years, I have received a constant exposure to adult literature, classical literature, and poetry. Because of this, I have strayed away from Young Adult Fiction, fearful that it would not be able to satisfy me intellectually since YA reads are typically considered to be “candy reads.” However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I actually enjoyed many of the seminars that shared excerpts from YA reads (Jandy Nelson and John Green are two that specifically come to mind). For this reason, the YA seminars have inspired me to be more open-minded–to not judge a book by its cover, or, more importantly, by its genre.

Any emulation to share???  If so, embed a link to it on your blog, or include here.

I do have a work-in-progress emulation I can share from my own seminar:

~

~

By my standards,

he is a ten.

I’m sure you’re laughing right now,

but that’s not what I mean.

What I am trying to say is that,

on a scale from one to ten,

one being indicative of experiencing

little to no pain

and ten being indicative of experiencing

a pain whose existence is

capable of knocking the wind

straight out of me–

a hurt that I do not

dare to fathom

for fear of prolonging it–

he was a hurricane.

My hurricane.

The eye of the storm,

his calm ignorance

paralleled against the

violently cyclonic nature

of this heartache–

cacophonic in its impact,

and blasphemous

in every context of

the word “love”.

I don’t think

getting caught in the rain

has ever hurt quite this much.

This is how

I know I am drowning.

Do you intend to read more of a writer?  Which?

***

Jandy Nelson: Definitely Jandy Nelson, who just so happens to be a YA author. However, the excerpt Kanchan and Lauryn shared with the class did not feel YA, in the sense that it did not feel juvenile. In fact, there is something very poetic about Nelson’s writing. There was one line from the excerpt that I felt was particularly poetic: “(Portrait: The Boy Who Walked Off With The Sea)”

And what Can I say? I’m a sucker for poetry (but you already knew that.)

John Green: The seminar for John Green reminded me of just how much I love John Green, whose lyricism and sarcastic wit has always captivated me. Unfortunately, I’ve only read two of his novels– The Fault in Our Stars and An Abundance of Katherines. Having recollected my past appreciation for his work, however, I would very much like to read the rest of his novels, specifically Paper Towns and Looking For Alaska. 

Edgar Allan Poe: Much like John Green, Poe is another writer I have forgotten about, which you might think me mad for; after all, I’ve always been attracted to anything having to do with darkness, gore, and the macabre. Thus, given my preferences, I think it is only suiting that I make an effort to better pursue the genius that is (was) Edgar Allan Poe.

BLOGGER: Discuss 3-4 student writers in the class who you have commented on and/or are a fan of their writing.  Please link to their blog post/page and explain what you like about their writing / work.  

***

Lauryn: I remember how, when I was in the sixth grade, Lauryn had shared a short story she wrote with the class. I was in awe of her writing then, and I am in awe of her writing now. Who wouldn’t be? Her work is poignant, thought-provoking and brilliantly picturesque–I’ve always been a sucker for imagery and Lauryn’s imagery is exceptionally executed in all its lyrical glory.

Commentary on Lauryn’s work: 

Nineteen Hours

Using Music to Study Smarter

~

Liza: The exploration and poetic wisdoms Liza shares in regards to her Russian culture and heritage are especially insightful and bold. In general, I consider her to be a courageous writer–honest, raw, beautiful in every sense of the word. 

Commentary on Liza’s work: Confessions From the Soul of a Martyr

~

Claire: Claire’s writing is a trifecta of sarcastic humour, feminist empowerment, and creative confidence. This semester, It has been an absolute pleasure to read her work and to watch her evolve intp the amazing writer that she is. And “Claire is in Space” is a suiting title for her blog because her thoughts and ideas possess an “out of this world” quality in that they are profoundly unique.

Commentary on Claire’s work:

Salt

Late Night Radio

OTHER WRITERS who you are a fan of…

***

Other Student bloggers:

Hope V. poetry, plays, heart murmurs and witches–this girl’s got it all. Plus, she’s my best friend 😉

Faith B. Faith’s writing is, for the most part, innately optimistic; it is refreshing to read something that gives me hope for a change.

Ziyana K. Literally the queen of lyricism. She never fails to inspire me.

Simply click on a given image to access the site from which it was originally obtained. 🙂